Medical Registration in Singapore

The requirements for doctors to work in Singapore are the following :

Firstly it is important to check if the doctor holds a degree from a university specified in the Medical Registrations Act (MRA) or a registrable postgraduate medical qualification recognised by the Singapore Medical Council (SMC). Then they must apply for conditional registration.

Secondly, in order to practice as a doctor in Singapore, you need a Medical Registration and a Practicing Certificate.


There are different ways of registration depending on your specialty:

International medical graduates are required to show evidence of proficiency in the English Language if their basic medical degree is obtained from a medical school where the teaching is not in English.


The average time for the SMC to process a registration is  about 3-4 weeks, once the candidate has sent the required documentation through the online application. The doctor will then be required to appear in person at the Medical Council’s office to complete the registration process (for approved cases only). Click for further information in Section G on the Singapore Medical Council Website.



If you intend to look for employment once you are in Singapore, you may apply for a Long-Term Visit Pass. You can also apply for a LTVP for your immediate family members if you are an Employment Pass or an S Pass holder.


Both Employment Pass holders and S Pass holders may apply for this pass for their spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years). Check the documents required.


Non-residents must possess a valid work pass before they can work in Singapore.  With a work pass there is no need to get a Visa to enter Singapore. There are different employment passes as follows:

  • Personalised Employment Pass (PEP): This is a program that encourages talented professionals to come to Singapore.
  • Employment Pass (EP):  The applicants will need to earn more than 3,300 S$ per month and hold acceptable qualifications. This pass is usually for managerial, executive or specialised jobs.
  • S Pass: Made for workers with a degree or a diploma level qualification earning a fixed monthly salary of at least 2,000 S$.
  • Training Employment Pass (TEP):  Made for non residents undergoing practical training attachments for professional, managerial, executive or specialist jobs.
  • Work Holiday Pass : University undergraduates and graduates aged 18 to 25 of all nationalities studying in universities in the eight countries: Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States. This programme has a capacity for 2,000 applicants at any one point in time and are allowed to live and work in Singapore for up to six months .

You can apply for any of these passes online and for an EP online or manually.

For more information, visit the Singapore Ministry Of Manpower website.