Visas in Australia

To work in Australia, there are a variety of Visas depending on several variables as: age range, duration of stay, if you’re alone or accompanied, if you’re sponsored or nominated and of course your nationality. To find the type of visa that most corresponds to your needs, we recommend visiting this page and enter the parameters that best adapt to your situation

General practitioners, specialists and hospital non-specialists can apply for a visa if:

  • They have received their primary medical qualification in a country other than Australia, or
  • They have primary medical qualifications in Australia, however they are not  Australian permanent residents.

The most required visas by doctors are the following:



This is an employer sponsored visa which allow skilled workers to fill a position for up to 4 years. The list of eligible occupations is available on the Skilled Occupation Lists

It is an uncapped temporary visa program entirely driven by employer demand for skilled workers  not available locally

You must have a job offer before applying for this visa.

For specific information about this visa check the Department of Inmigration and border Protection website.


This visa replaces the old one: Occupational Trainees Visa 442

It’s a temporary visa used by people who want to participate in occupational training  as well as observe or participate in research, or participate in a  professional development program.

This visa has three streams:

  • Occupational Trainee stream: for people who need structured workplace-based training. Usually up to a maximum of two years.
  • Professional Development stream:  for professionals invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia. This program usually lasts up to 18 months
  • Research stream. For professional academics invited to any research project. This program is usually up to a maximum of 12 months.

You can find more information about this visa on the Department of Inmigration and Border Protection website.


Once a full registration has been conducted in the AMC, doctors may choose to apply for permanent residence under an employer sponsored or independent visa.

There are different permanent options for doctors in the DIAC website:


This is a permanent resident visa for skilled workers who want to work in Australia.

You can apply if you:

  • Have been nominated by an approved Australian employer
  • Are younger than 50 years old.
  • Meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements
  •  Apply under the proper stream for which you are nominated.

There are different streams:

  • The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years in the same occupation with their nominating employer and has been offered a permanent position in that occupation.
  • The Direct Entry stream is for:
    • people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream
    • people who have never worked in Australia
    • temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream, or
    • people with a nomination lodged with Australia before 1 July 2012.
  • The Agreement stream is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.

You can find more information about this visa on the Department of Inmigration and Border Protection website.


This is a permanent resident visa for skilled workers who want to work in Regional Australia (regional Australia does not include the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong or Melbourne) under one of three streams:

  • The Temporary Residence Transition stream
  • The Direct Entry stream
  • The Agreement stream.

This visa has the same requirements as the Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)


This visa is for skilled doctors who want to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident and don’t have an employer to sponsor them.

In order to apply for this visa you need to submit an expression of interest with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and then be invited through SkillSelect to apply.

Once you have been invited to apply you must also have:

  • nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • obtained a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
  • not yet turned 50 years of age
  • achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
  • at least competent English.

You can find more information about this visa on the Department of Inmigration and Border Protection website.

Skillselect is an online tool that allows skilled workers interested  in  migrating to Australia to record their details to be indentified for a skilled visa through an expression of interest (EOI).

It helps the Australian Government  in managing  the skilled migration according to the needs of the country.