All non-UAE citizens who want to work in the UAE require a residency visa, which allows them to obtain a work permit issued by the Ministry of Labour. Usually employers take responsibility for the visa application process and thus the work permit, while also acting as the sponsor for the visa and its cost.

If expats are taking their spouses or any dependants with them to the UAE, then they will require a family residence visa, which can be only obtained if the monthly salary exceeds AED 4,000.

The residency visa allows expats to stay in the UAE for up to three years.

It is also necessary to pass a health check which includes testing for HIV/AIDS.

Register with the community for FREE

Get more from your career plans