Documents Checklist

This is a non-exhaustive list of documents you are likely to require when planning your work overseas. Most are for medical registration and visa purposes. In some countries you may not need to register with their medical council for short term volunteer work, however this should be explicitly confirmed beforehand.




Do not underestimate the importance of your CV, especially if applying for competitive posts. Please see our CV page for more options.

Primary Degree & Specialist Qualifications

It is likely that you will need to take copies, have them notarized and/or get them verified at the ECFMG (for Australia and South Africa). The latter is the

Course Certificates

This varies according to the specialty, but some courses are mandatory for certain posts

Police records

Apply to the police for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). An individual can get “basic disclosure” with details of any unspent convictions.

Certificate of Good Standing

Ask for a Certificate of Good Standing from any previous and current registration boards.

Medical report

You will need to have a medical examination to sign off that you are in good health and you are fit to undertake the employment overseas.


You will need to provide references from senior medical colleagues.

Register with the community for FREE

Get more from your career plans