MEDICS FOR INTERNATIONAL EXPEDITIONS
Raleigh International is looking for Volunteer Medics to join their sustainable development programmes in Spring and Summer 2020.
Medics are essential to their Expeditions, so if you’re a qualified doctor, paramedic or nurse, this could be for you!
Develop your expedition medicine skills and lead groups of young people on programmes which include Water, Sanitation and Hygiene projects in rural communities, and environmental preservation work in protected areas.
As a Raleigh Medic you will:
- Look after the general health of all volunteers and manage any medical emergencies where necessary
- Deliver first aid training at the beginning of Expedition
- Be flexible to work remotely from field base or lead groups of young people as a project manager
- Support project sites with medical advice from the main office
- Be part of the central operations team that responds to incidents
- Encourage and motivate the volunteers to effectively deliver on their projects while helping to facilitate their own personal development
- Experience living in a completely new and exciting environment
Although they are mainly recruiting for 2020, if you are interested in joining in 2019 between September to December, please apply below.
They may still have spaces available for you.
18 January – 21 April
30 May – 31 August
17 January – 20 April
8 June – 10 September
1 February – 27 April
13 June – 7 September
(If it is agreed that you would join Raleigh International in Costa Rica as an Advance Medic, your start date will be one week earlier)
You must have at least 2 years post-qualification experience, and medical skills that are transferable to remote static environments.
They do require fundraising for their projects but this covers all expenses when you are in country.
Fundraising costs start from £1,150 depending on the time of departure. Since medic roles require specialist knowledge and skills, these are reduced from typical volunteer manager costs and covers:
- All in-country food, travel and accommodation
- Travel and medical insurance (excluding personal belongings cover)
- Pre departure training including a residential weekend, live online webinar and online learning platform
- 2 weeks training in country before volunteers arrive
- All group medical equipment
- Access to alumni network and events on return
About Raleigh International
Raleigh International is a sustainable development charity, they believe in the passion and energy of young people from around the world to create long-lasting positive change. They work with local people, NGO’s and governments to establish where help is needed most. They monitor and evaluate all of their programmes to ensure they create positive impact, are meaningful and long-lasting.
Their programmes focus on providing safe access to water, protecting vulnerable environments and building more resilient communities, all whilst developing the skills and confidence of young people.
In order to safely and effectively run their expeditions, they rely on volunteer managers. They need medics to join their expeditions to ensure the health and well-being of their volunteers.
This is an exciting opportunity to gain first-hand experience in an expedition environment whilst developing your leadership and management skills.
For further information head over to Raleigh International or contact Sally at email@example.com.