“I help doctors manage career transitions, challenges, and opportunities to have successful and meaningful careers in the medical profession they love.”
Are you an early career doctor struggling to reconcile your expectations with the reality of working in healthcare? Perhaps you are not sure which specialty to choose, or even where your life is going?
Maybe you are an established GP or consultant with poor life balance or unclear what your legacy will be? Perhaps you yearn for more meaning in your work, or maybe the stresses that you face have led to interpersonal conflicts at work or at home.
Are you newly CCTd doctor wondering what happens next, whether you should take on leadership roles, and how to develop yourself in that direction?
My coaching can help you create your successful and meaningful career by helping you:
- Understand who you are, what your strengths are, what is going on at present, and what gives your life meaning and purpose
- Develop yourself so that you develop new skills and attitudes suited to your future plans
- Choose what you want to do, who you want to be, what kind of a future you want to have
- Take action to make it all happen
My coaching specialises in medical careers, helping doctors succeed in healthcare
- Choosing your next career steps, whether as a senior or new doctor
- Getting your next roles, qualifications, exams, or other desired outcomes
- Transitioning into new roles, seniorities, teams, or leadership positions
- Succeeding and thriving in a meaningful career
Why should you choose me?
- I have an enjoyable and successful NHS career myself. I face the same challenges you might do also, including burnout, major illness, bullying, misalignment of values, and difficult career decisions. I have developed my own ways of dealing with the pressures of working in the NHS, and hope to help you do the same. Unlike many doctor-coaches, I continue to work for the NHS and have not left healthcare.
- I know about health, research, teaching, training, leadership, teamwork, and diversity, as well as coaching. I have a wide range of experiences that enable me to understand the world that you move in.
- I have the right training to support you with coaching. I have a Master’s degree in Coaching and Mentoring, and am one of few coaches to have studied coaching at such an advanced level. I am also a licensed career coach, and accredited with the European Mentoring and Coaching Council. I engage in ongoing professional development as a coach, including with regular coaching supervision. I am a qualified coaching supervisor too.
- I specialise in and am experienced in coaching doctors.
- My coaching is focused on solutions, it looks to the future, and it aims to help you develop as a whole person. In coaching, we will probably talk about emotional as well as technical aspects of your career, and look at all aspects of your life and not just the work. You set the agenda, whatever it may be.
- I am flexible in the type of coaching techniques that I use. Sometimes you may need me more as a mentor than a coach, and if that is the case we will agree on a change in how we work and I will continue to be able to help you. My coaching isn’t just someone who listens to you – I will ask you questions and challenge you to become the best that you can.
- You deal with me directly, and only me. You decide if I am the right person to help you, you choose how we work, how often and for how long. I don’t write any routine coaching report about you to anyone else, nor are my interactions with you influenced by anyone else’s agenda.
- My coaching process starts with a free 60 minute session, designed to help us both see how coaching can help you and how we might work together.
- I have helped many people through my coaching, see some of their feedback below.
My coaching specialises in helping doctors develop their successful and meaningful career in the medical profession they love. Contact me to arrange your free 60-minute coaching session to explore how we may work together.
My coaching is undertaken using virtual platforms such as Zoom.
Free resources to help you with your career
Medical Career Choices
Thinking of Changing Careers?
“I’ve not used the word career in a positive sense for almost 10 years. It had felt a career had deteriorated into a ‘job’. Thank you”
GP discussing career management
“Not sure how you manage it but you have got me to do so much! More than I ever imagined I could.”
Trainee doctor discussing careers
“It felt like a workout for the spirit- tiring but definitely felt stronger coming out than I went in.”
Medicine trainee discussing career and long-term vision
“Coaching really helped me to change my outlook towards work and made me approach the next working week with positivity and clarity”
“Mat is great for showing your problem from a completely different point of view. He can ask questions that you end up thinking about for days and they help to see your problem as you never thought about.
“I feel the discussion on leadership will allow me to have a platform to grow into the next phase of my career.”
GP discussing leadership
“Eye opening and practical.”
GP discussing careers and life balance
“It has helped me to consider criticism and be able to move on from it rather than focus on.”
NHS clinical leader.
“It was really amazing how you helped me define my values and put them on paper in the form of simple illustration and graphs.”
Early-career doctor discussing career future
Contact me to arrange your free 30-minute coaching session