Medical Writer – Marketing
About the role
Medical Writers in our Global Marketing capability are responsible for creating scientifically robust and compelling promotional copy, translating data into engaging storytelling using powerful ideas and concepts. They own the science and work closely with Conceptual Copywriters, Art Directors, and Designers to create content and messaging that is highly engaging, affective, and memorable.
You are expected to write to a high standard, showing strong use of vocabulary, grammar, and sentence flow. You must be adept at interpreting medical data and extracting information relevant to the target audience and campaign objective, while remaining compliant to industry standards of medical communications.
What you’ll do
Knowledge and skills
- Be a brand ambassador on key accounts. Source, manage and maintain complex bodies of evidence for your key brands and own the info within.
- Create appropriately tailored copy across a range of material types (e.g., web copy, visual aids, animations, etc.) and audience types (e.g., specialists, HCPs, patients, adaptations for different customer segmentations, etc.)
- Adapt technical language into simple, audience-appropriate copy.
- Ensure work is scientifically accurate and substantiated, maintaining up-to-date reference packs for each job.
- Confidently collaborate in creative teams on a wide range of projects and campaign elements, including corporate training, sales aids, patient education, digital applications, etc.
- Have the confidence and knowledge to challenge data/claims/client requests where necessary.
- Be up to date on legislation and regulatory processes.
- Share scientific insights with colleagues and clients.
- Sell in your work to colleagues and clients, clearly and convincingly with passion and confidence.
- Address client feedback in a professional and helpful manner.
- Understand the function of the creative department and master the creative and copy operational processes
- Use tone skilfully to fulfil intent (instructional, persuasive etc)
- Be passionate about bringing narrative excellence to health comms.
- Work with others to develop your creative ideas.
- Stay close to the evolving edge of print, digital and experiential communication, taking inspiration from industry award winners and the world at large.
- Observe and act on current trends and research in your therapy area/s, share your knowledge widely.
- Anticipate and actively seek out incoming work.
- Prepare yourself for briefings, coming armed with the necessary pre-reading and questions (if possible)
- Ask questions at briefings and beyond to fully understand the tasks.
- Provide clear documentation with correct use of copy templates and appropriate version control.
- Develop orderly core claims and reference packs for your brands.
- Actively manage expectations from colleagues on project outlines, helping to shape deadlines with creative services manager and account teams.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a medical writing role within a recognised medical communications/healthcare advertising agency
- Bachelor’s life sciences degree required; post-graduate qualification e.g., MSc or PhD an advantage
- Excellent written English, with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience translating medical content into promotional brand campaign messaging and communications
- Good understanding of ABPI guidelines
- Desire to expand your creative interest/conceptual abilities and work in a hybrid medical writing and copy role
What we can offer
Avalere Health aims to empower every employee to develop and thrive. We empower our team with the tools, skills, and support needed to think differently and to solve healthcare’s most complex challenges.
At the center of our people-led culture is our Career Experience team, whose mission is to provide every employee with a purpose-driven career. We also pride ourselves on our personalized learning approach to ensure you receive the training you need to help you grow within the company and take advantage of our global scale and scope.
We are committed to embedding diversity and inclusion in every aspect of our organization. We encourage diversity of thought, inclusive behavior, and break down barriers to ensure every individual feels valued and encouraged to contribute their unique abilities and potential. As part of our commitment to building a healthier world, every employee is also encouraged to participate in our community engagement efforts, which support a wide range of healthcare programs and wellbeing causes worldwide.
We have city hubs across North America, Europe, and Asia, geared toward collaborating, training, socializing, and coming together as a global organization while maintaining and fully supporting flexible working practices. Our compensation and benefits package is benchmarked across the industry. We offer a generous company pension/retirement plan, private medical insurance, comprehensive employee wellbeing initiatives, compelling time-off policy, plus many other excellent employee benefits.