Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (NASDAQ: JAZZ) is a global biopharmaceutical company whose purpose is to innovate to transform the lives of patients and their families. We are dedicated to developing life-changing medicines for people with serious diseases – often with limited or no therapeutic options. We have a diverse portfolio of marketed medicines and novel product candidates, from early- to late-stage development, in neuroscience and oncology. We actively explore new options for patients including novel compounds, small molecules and biologics, and through cannabinoid science and innovative delivery technologies. Jazz is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland and has employees around the globe, serving patients in nearly 75 countries. For more information, please visit www.jazzpharmaceuticals.com and follow @JazzPharma on Twitter.
Reporting to the Medical Director (MD) for Neuroscience, the Medical Science Liaison is responsible for the implementation of the local affiliate’s Medical Plan and associated tactics that support the successful commercialization of in-market and future Jazz Pharma products.
This is a field-based, non-promotional role which includes a mix of in-person and remote working. The incumbent will be a medical and scientific expert for the therapy area. Joining a team of MSLs for the UK and Ireland business, the main areas of responsibility include responding reactively to unsolicited requests for information from healthcare professionals, building collaborative relationships with opinion leaders and facilitating the exchange of unbiased scientific information between the medical community and the company through best-in-class medical education.
The incumbent is responsible for ensuring all activities are executed in accordance with regulatory and legal frameworks including but not limited to ABPI, GCP, IFPMA, GDPR and local regulations as well as Jazz Pharmaceuticals Policies and Healthcare compliance procedures.
Provision of Medical Information
- Provides accurate, unbiased and balanced scientific and medical information to both internal and external customers on request and in a timely manner.
- Delivers best in class, scientific, educational meetings executed in accordance with Jazz and local regulatory and legal frameworks.
- Provides scientific information to supplement the clinical experience of HCPs and ensure appropriate positioning of Jazz Pharmaceuticals medicines within relevant national and local protocols, guidelines, and formularies to ensure appropriate access.
- Communicates emerging data and the clinical experience with our products through scientific exchange and peer-to-peer interactions discussing benefits and risks in an objective manner.
Positions self as Scientific Expert
- Maintains an up to date and high-level knowledge of the therapy area, Jazz products, new and emerging areas of research, therapeutic issues and trends, and competitive landscape.
- Establishes reputation as a trustworthy and knowledgeable source of scientific and medical information for the healthcare community.
- Supports development of Jazz Pharmaceuticals positioning as the scientific authority in Neuroscience / Neurology / Epilepsy.
- Attends appropriate scientific congresses to stay abreast of developments and to support Regional, National and local External Expert (EE) activities and Jazz interests.
- Acquires a broad understanding of local and national protocols and standards of clinical practice and trends in disease management in the UK.
Supports Company-sponsored And Investigator Initiated Research
- Supports the local implementation of Jazz Pharmaceuticals sponsored studies and projects.
- Identifies clinical investigators with research interests aligned with the Medical Plan.
- Responds to requests for Investigator Sponsored Trial (IST) grants, and facilitates the submission and review of ISTs in accordance with Jazz standard operating procedures.
- Ensures support of the life cycle management of Neuroscience products including building investigator links for entry into new pipeline areas.
Develop External Relationships
- Develops mutually beneficial relationships with National and Local External Experts in the UK, leading to a productive two-way scientific exchange and achievement of mutually agreed upon objectives related to educational projects, data generation, publications, etc.
- Supports national EE advocates, speakers, consultants and advisors through provision of scientific and clinical information.
- Develops and maintains a national and regional database of key strategic contacts for each relevant product and disease area.
- Identifies educational and research gaps and opportunities aligned with the Medical Plan.
Medical Affairs Planning and Plan Execution
- Contributes to the development of the UK Medical Plan and provides input into local strategies and tactics.
- Where needed, manages relevant budget to enable execution of Medical Plan tactics as part of the wider Medical Affairs team.
- Works in a collaborative manner with cross-functional colleagues to ensure a Key Account Excellence approach.
- Interacts with HCPs as a scientific resource to support activities aligned with the Medical Plan including advisory boards, speaker development and clinical trials.
Responsible For Maintaining Company Standards And Jazz Values
- Consistently acts to enhance Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ image as an advocate of medical advancement by using knowledge of product, disease state and pipeline products to engage healthcare providers in meaningful scientific exchange of information.
- Document and forward reports of adverse events and product complaints according to Jazz’s policy to ensure safe and effective use of Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ products.
- Adheres to the relevant national and local Codes of Practice.
- Behaves ethically and with integrity at all times.
- Acts as an ambassador for Jazz Pharmaceuticals following company mission and values.
- Keeps own written development plan and implements.
- Prepares timely reporting according to the company needs.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to research and critically analyze and communicate complex scientific and medical information and data.
- Clear and concise communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent planning and organization skills, with high-level attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong strategic mindset.
- Highly self-motivated and ability to work autonomously.
- Ability to learn quickly, be flexible and results-focused in a rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated skills in inter-personal relationship building, networking, collaboration and teamwork.
- Knowledge of specialty neurology, epilepsy, sleep and/or psychiatry market in the UK.
- Experience working diverse groups including Clinicians, Payer / Service development leads and academia.
- Excellent command of spoken English.
- Ability and willingness to travel at least 60% of work days, driving required.
- Knowledge of the London and South East England territory, the healthcare environment and EEs in academia and medical community.
- Demonstrated ability to develop trust and relationships with opinion leaders in disease states of interest.
- Understanding of regulatory requirements for field-based personnel.
- Experience of delivering digital, online and remote education.
- Experience of online medical event management.
- Understanding of real-world data and its application to clinical practice
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Scientific Graduate with a higher qualification e.g. PhD, Pharm D, MSc etc.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry, Medical Affairs type role and/or clinical/research experience.
- MSL experience preferred.
- Preference will be given to those with experience in epilepsy; however, experience in Neurology, Sleep and Psychiatry or other relevant backgrounds will be considered.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.