The Independent Medical Expert Group (IMEG) is looking to appoint two medical members.
The Independent Medical Expert Group (IMEG) is tasked by and advises the Minister for Defence, People and Veterans (DPV) on the medical and scientific aspects of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and related matters.
It provides a key role in assuring that AFCS policy and decision making reflect contemporary medical understanding on causation and progress of disorders and injuries.
The successful candidates for these roles must:
- be a medically qualified senior consultant, registered with the General Medical Council (GMC), in one of the relevant specialities (trauma/orthopaedics, neurology, audio vestibular/audiological medicine, occupational medicine, psychiatry, respiratory medicine, epidemiology or rehabilitation) and be independent of the MOD, having not previously worked either in the Department or been a member of the Armed Forces;
- Ensure that the Code of Practice on access to Government Information is adhered to;
- Ensure that the Group does not exceed its powers or functions.
And will demonstrate ability in the following areas:
- have the ability to apply intellectual rigour to the medical and scientific aspects of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and related matters.
- to engage fully in collective consideration of the topics raised for investigation, taking account of the full range of evidence based on science and medicine, including any guidance issued by the sponsor department or the responsible minister;
- have experience of working collaboratively on high level committees at board level;
- have the ability to take forward investigative work and the capacity to ensure that all issues are seen through to their conclusion;
- have the ability to work flexibly and engage constructively with IMEG members and stakeholders;
- have excellent written and oral communication skills and teamwork.
And should have also have:
- have an interest in occupational medicine, disability analysis and personal injury compensation;
- have an understanding of how the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme operates.
Number of Vacancies: Two Medical Members
Body: Independent Medical Expert Group (IMEG)
Sponsoring Department: Ministry of Defence (MOD)
Time Requirement: Approximately no more than 10 days per year.
Location: London, with some UK travel.
Remuneration: The role is not remunerated, although reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed.
Length of Appointment: The Appointment will be for a period of three years starting on 1 August 2020.
Please contact Defence Business Services to request an application pack on DBSCivPers-ResNONSDAPPS@mod.gov.uk
apply online via the Cabinet Office Public Appointments website