Abbott Point of Care (APOC) is a global leader in providing critical medical diagnostic and data management products for rapid blood analysis that are intuitive, reliable, and cost-effective. Our i-STAT System is an advanced, portable diagnostic tool that provides real-time, lab-quality results within minutes to accelerate patient-care decision-making. The i-STAT System has the industry’s most comprehensive menu of tests in a single, with-patient platform, including tests for blood gases, electrolytes, chemistries, coagulation, hematology, glucose, and cardiac markers. By delivering lab-quality results in minutes, our i-STAT System fosters a collaborative, patient-centred environment while driving improved operational performance.
Our Global Medical Affairs Team has an opportunity for a Medical Director – EMEA Region (Europe, Middle East, Africa). The Medical Affairs team is the medical/scientific voice of expertise for Abbott Point of Care (APOC) products and therapeutic areas. This field-based role focuses on medical & scientific engagement with APOC stakeholders. You will be expected to help build and manage a team of Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) in the region to provide medical/scientific expert advice and guidance to key customers for APOC products & relevant therapeutic areas, including scientific exchange & professional development with key thought leaders and external experts. You will also be the primary point of contact to provide medical/scientific affairs support to the EMEA commercial team.
The Medical Director serves to support the scientific credibility of APOC with established and emerging national & regional thoughts leaders, by supporting scientific dialogue and collaboration in areas of research, scientific publications, and medical & scientific exchange, including unsolicited requests for medical information. They also interface regularly with appropriate commercial team members. They maintain a high level of knowledge to ensure credible dissemination of scientific information and dialogue with thoughts leaders, healthcare providers and healthcare organizations.
What You’ll Do
- Provide Medical Affairs leadership by building and managing a team of MSLs who will present scientific, clinical, and educational materials to prospective or existing customers/clinicians, key opinion leaders (KOLs), academic centers, and professional organizations to increase awareness, acceptance, and advocacy of products and credible relationships with thought leaders and external experts of strategic importance to APOC.
- Serve as a point of contact within the Global Medical Affairs team for local thought leaders and external experts within the EMEA region to satisfy their needs for scientific knowledge in a therapeutic area and/or regarding a relevant APOC product.
- When requested, assist MSLs in providing training and support safe, effective, and appropriate use of the APOC products.
- Provide clinical and product training with presentations on scientific matters to health care providers, individually or in groups (meetings, clinical sessions, etc.), where requested, with the focus on Tier 1 and 2 thought leaders at academic centers, in clinical practice and at national congresses.
- Partner with KOLs to maintain mutual awareness through medical communication, publications, scientific congress activities, medical education programs, scientific advisory boards, and post-approval evidence generation.
- Engage with appropriately qualified thought leaders in collaborative efforts – such as educational and advisory roles (Advisory Boards, speaking events at Congresses, Symposia, Principal Investigators for clinical studies etc.) while ensuring a high level of scientific, educational integrity in these collaborative efforts.
- Attend relevant scientific meetings and conferences and provide Medical Affairs support for the exhibit booth at local, regional, national, and international scientific meetings and congresses.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop summaries of key data and other scientifically relevant information from the congresses to inform APOC of strategic priorities and initiatives from a clinical and scientific perspective.
- Answer unsolicited off-label inquiries or requests for medical information re: the use of APOC products from a clinical and scientific perspective, while ensuring compliance with regulatory guidelines pertaining to such interactions.
- Respond to questions re: APOC clinical scientific data, ISS queries, data interpretation, etc.
- Drive publications and presentations of products based on data and materials collected from KOLs.
- Ensure that all activities and interactions are conducted with due regard to all applicable local and national laws, regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, company policies and accepted standards of best practice.
- Conduct and assist with medical content review and professional communication materials and key advocacy initiatives with KOLs and professional organizations
- Incumbent will cover a territory consisting of multiple countries and expected travel is 50-75%.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Board-certified M.D., D.O., or internationally equivalent Doctor of Medicine degree
- Clinical patient and Medical Affairs experience, preferably in the medical device industry with a proven track record of success in clinical and/or medical affairs activities, developing strategy and executing operational plans
- Understanding of the clinical laboratory, assay/instrument principles involving in vitro diagnostic product design and usage, and the scientific, statistical, regulatory and compliance requirements of clinical research
- Medical Information, Regulatory Affairs, and/or Medical Communications experience in the Diagnostics/Medical Device/Pharmaceutical industry is preferred
- Ability to influence and lead both with and without direct authority
- Ability to provide clear, concise, and accurate communication skills (written and oral)
What We Offer
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives, and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness, and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.